Saturday, May 12, 2007

Mother bitch session

My mother, bless her heart, is buying a car for #1 son. She has taken to subtle comments, aimed at me no doubt, such as "well everyone seems to be kicking the poor boy while he's down, so I thought I would help him."

I guess I'm the one who's kicking him while he's down.

There's a widower my parents know who has a '91 Buick that was his wife's. He has decided to get rid of it, so my mother has bought it and is having a mechanic go over it. She will then allow #1 to make payments to her.

I'm certainly not opposed to him getting wheels, or to her helping him, but he will wind up not making payments, she will call me complaining about it, and I will have to tell her she made the deal with him and it is between them.

Why am I so negative about this? I have lived/known her for 43 years, and him for 19. I know with fair certainty how this will go down.

And she is enabling his behaviour, by making this easy for him. Now he will have more money for drugs and alcohol.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This happened to Mr.W's nephew as well, 3 years ago. Yes, he is now $5000 deeper in debt.

However, she no longer calls and makes subtle comments, even remotely similar to "well everyone seems to be kicking the poor boy while he's down, so I thought I would help him." ;)

Mr. W's nephew went to Dad-n-Law the next year for a handout. Dad-n-Law promptly called Father of the Prodigal to let him know, but then dropped out of the situation very nicely, without giving requested handout.

Thankfully, nephew has no other grandparents to hit up for $, and has settled down, gotten 2 steady jobs, and paid off most of his debts in the last year. (He's 24.)

It sucketh mightily now, but will be OK.