Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Progeny Bitch Session

Things are going well for #1 son at work. His boss is happy, his boss's boss is happy, the owner of the company talked with him at length yesterday then told me last night he was a firm believer in nepotism and that #1 was obviously bright enough that we should put him in management training.

So why am I bitching? I pick him up at 6:30 every morning. For a long time now, if I wake up early I will go on to work and have incredibly productive hours at before everyone else gets in. Now I wait for him. Several times I was done at 6:00 or 6:30 in the evenings, but his machine is still running so I wait till 7:00 or 7:30.

And really, I'm o.k. with it since it's a chance for him to get ahead. All I asked of him was that he save $300/month towards a car of his own. He was bringing home $340/2weeks on his old job, now he brings home $350-$365 every week. Last Thursday, the first milestone date we had agreed to, he showed a ticket from the ATM showing $305. Today I asked him if that money was still in his account, since he is supposed to have $600 by June 1. He went off on me, about how I'm trying to control his money and have since he first went to work at Taco Bell 3 years ago. All pissy because I made him pay his own car insurance. My deal to all the boys was/is I will provide a car for 18 months so they can save and buy their own, and I will pay insurance 3 months so they find a job and get started. If they keep a 3.0 GPA, I'll pay their insurance past that. He never achieved a 2.0 GPA, and blew the hell out of his money. 18 months in, all he had was his most recent paycheck.

Bottom line- he does not still have the $300. My deal with him was I would provide transportation for 90 days. Realistically, he should be able to save $1500 in that time. he will have nothing. I will quit giving him rides, and he will lose his job. It's 18 miles from his apt to the plant, a little far to walk.

And somehow, once again, his travails will be my fault. I guess in essance he is right. I failed to teach him what he needs to make it in the world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I worry about him, too. Stick to your guns- you *are* teaching him what he needs to make it in this world, he's just not learning it yet.

It's hard when we see what we think is a dark future- we're trying not to worry on this end about not having heard yet from PR, so I know a little about how you feel. I don't want to sound trite: Please remember a lot of things we worry will happen never do.

Meanwhile, I'll be praying for him, and you, and Rootie.

Jo said...

Is there a bus he could take out to the plant? Not being a smartass, just asking if public transit is an option.

Because there's nothing like riding the bus for a week to motivate a person to save money for a car!

Sweet Daddio said...

jo- the plant is way out in the country in a part of the world where mass transit means 3 kids and 2 dogs in the back of the pickup. He could not even get a cab to get to work.

The infuriating part is the attitude of "I'll show you it's my money and I'll spend it all."