Wednesday, April 25, 2007

They aren't all bad

Lest I fall into the trap of the mainstream media and only report bad news:

Carl is 22, he came in as part of the 2nd wave, last August (the recent hirings are 4th wave). I knew he was going to be a father, he's been excited about it since he found out. Carl has been on time every day except when he asked to go for an ultra-sound with his girl friend 2 months ago. Monday I overheard a conversation between him and some of the guys from the other part of the plant in the canteen.

"Man, what'd you go and get married for. Now she won't get no money from the State"

"I don't care, he's going to have my last name on his birth certificate"

"Man, you stupid. Just shack up then she can get money from the State"

"I don't want money from the State. I want to be married"

"Man, you stupid"

Tell me at least part of the problem in the black community isn't cultural.

2 comments:

Jo said...

Go Carl! Tell him to stick to his guns; maybe his good attitude will rub off on his buddies.

A solid, strong family is priceless; the monthly handout from the government is just that--a monthly handout.

Sweet Daddio said...

They had their baby today- they had been told it was a boy but SURPRISE! it came out a girl!