Friday, April 13, 2007

What's a Man(ager) to do?

O.K. I get permission from ownership this morning to add a foreman($10.50/hr), an operator($9.80), a serviceman ($9.20), and 2 wash machine operators ($8.00).

5 new people to hire, in addition to 2 replacements.

I will promote for the foreman position, so will really be hiring 2 operators. I am now faced with considering lowering my standards and hiring extra bodies to fill in for slackers. I really don't want to go there. If I do, the wage rate will be reduced to pay 3 people what 2 would normally make.

I ain't gonna do it. I will keep hiring and firing until I am staffed with good, reliable people. I have to remind myself that I have 190 people and 175 of those are stable. I have 2 sub-30 year olds with potential to be foremen.

(When I told HR I didn't want to talk to anyone under 30, he said "Aw, come on. There's some good kids out there" to which I replied "I know. And what I haven't already hired already have jobs, only the sorry ones are left)

Wish me luck. Anyone need a job? 50 hours/week, time and a half over 40. The cost of living is really low here.

No comments: