Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Well, this one was really disappointing

Nick started work March 28. He interviewed nicely, well spoken, polite, dressed decently in a striped polo shirt and a pair of jeans that actually fit him. After the interview and on the spot job offer we chit chatted on the way back to HR to process paperwork. Turns out he's 19 year old half brother to one of #3 son's best friends. They have the same father. I know the family, a farm family. I was curious why he was coming to work here, but glad he was.

"My Granddad thinks I need experience outside the farm and family"

Well, I can appreciate that.

I placed him in the new warehouse/distribution center. His job was to stack finished product on pallets and make sure all the inventory control labels were facing the same direction. Being a strapping young man I thought it was a good fit.

1st day, he shows up and clocks in at 6:59. He drives a 3 year old dual cab Dodge 4 wheel drive truck with a diesel engine, gigantic tires, and a lift kit so high he has to climb what looks like a ladder to get in. Easily $35,000 worth of truck.

2nd day, 6:57. That would be the earliest he gets in.

3rd day, 15 minutes late. When explained to him that he was expected to be at work at 7:00, he said "Well the others get things started up and I don't really have anything to do till 7:15."

I explained that 1) that was my decision, not his 2) As he was trained there would be startup duties assigned to him requiring his presence and 3) that was my decision, not his.

His 2nd week, he was late 2 of 5 days. When I asked what was going on, he just said "I just have a hard time getting up. I get here as soon as I can."

Monday this week he again comes in 12 minutes late. I pull him aside and explain that scheduled hours are 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., subject to be expanded in the evenings as business picks up.

"Look, I can still get my job done even if I'm not here at 7:00"

So I explained "All us Boss types have our hot buttons. Mine is attendance and being on time. You have never worked for anyone but your Grandfather so you don't have a grasp of things on a factory job, but let me make it clear- you don't set policy here."

Yesterday the marketing manager for the parent company was down from up north. He was explaining to the warehouse crew the importance of what they do and how they are the last to touch the product before the customer gets it. He is explaining to Nick the importance of stacking the product on a pallet neatly and presenting a professional package when it arrives at the customers dock. Nick is looking at the ceiling like some 2nd grader during math class. I say to Nick "Pay attention please". This causes the visitor to look up just as Nick rolls his eyes. Needless to say, that resulted in a minor tongue lashing for me.

Also yesterday Quality Control released the first production lot of a new product. This resulted in me scheduling the warehouse group to work till 5:00 the remainder of this week and also on Saturday.

"Naw, I'm racing 4-wheelers this Saturday. I won't be here."

"It is a scheduled work day. Attendance is not optional"

After the warehouse manager and I left to attend meetings he apparently (as reported by his co-workers) kicked in the front of a vending machine and walked out saying

"Fuck this shit. I just want enough hours to buy gas and go out on the weekends."

His mother is a friend of my secretary. She has told me today that she is one of these mothers who heaps praise on for all things, minor or major. Turns out Nick didn't like getting his feelings hurt over not doing a good job when the visiting dignitary fussed yesterday. And his mother didn't understand why I couldn't let him go to the races this weekend.

I'm sure Taco Bell or KFC will be glad to accomodate him. Of course, at $5.15/hour instead of $9.20 he'll have to work a few more hours. Bless his heart, it's just hard to live on minimum wage.

2 comments:

Jo said...

It makes me feel so old to say this, but geez, some of these young people really have no work ethic. But the big question is: who paid for that big expensive truck?

Sweet Daddio said...

His grandfather, but apparently when he chose to not go to college and opted to hang out around the house and be a dillitant instead Granddad cut off the money and told him to go earn his own way.